Treat yourself to some quality time and painting flowers from life. Set up an easel outside or paint indoors in the studio, either way, we will celebrate the season’s abundance of lush greenery and colorful blossoms.
This workshop is designed for those who want to explore the joy of painting flowers from life in the garden or within an artist’s studio environment. With a focus on capturing the natural beauty found in flowers, students will work directly from life using oils. Specific lessons will cover all aspects of painting with flowers, learning to work with individual characteristics of the different flowers available for each season. Alla-prima painting techniques are taught and demonstrated, emphasizing the importance of color and form when expressing the unique beauty found in flowers.
These topics will be taught:
- Cutting, conditioning and arranging flowers and how to keep them fresh for the maximum of days.
- Tips specific to the seasonal flowers we will use during the workshop, as some flowers have special needs for guaranteeing maximum life of the cut bloom
- How to plan your painting process
- How to abstract complex flower shapes and block in a composition of flowers
- And tips for completing a painting while working around the changes that are likely to occur in the flower arrangement over the time that a painting is being completed.
Each workshop will take place in the intimate space of my backyard and home studio*. Students must supply all materials, including easels. The location is not metro accessible and students are responsible for their own transportation. We meet rain or shine.
* I share my studio with my beautiful and old Abyssinian kitty, Slim.
Early Spring Flowers
Early April has the best variety of spring bulbs to choose from, tulips, daffodils and muscari, just to name a few of the choices we will have.
Tuesday, April 3 thru Friday, April 6, 2018
from 10am to 4pm, with a social hour on Friday night
$400 4-day workshop
Early Summer Flowers
Late June has a wide variety of summer flowers without the sweltering heat found later in July and August. We will have a bunch to choose from.
Friday, June 22 thru Sunday, June 24, 2018
from 10am to 4pm, with a social hour on Saturday night
$300 3-day workshop
Register by emailing me and sending in your tuition payment. My email is: contact[at]elizabethfloyd.com
What to Bring:
Plan to pack a lunch, water and tea will be provided
- artist grade oil colors
- paint brushes
- portable easel
- travel palette with paint
- sketchbook/notebook for notes
- pencil and eraser
- folding stool
- dress for the weather – sunscreen, hat, sensible shoes
For any other questions, please email me, contact[at]elizabethfloyd.com
*my home studio is often visited by my dear Abyssinian kitty, Slim.