Smitten with the Sky…

Cloudscapes #1-#30

Smitten with the Sky Series, Cloudscapes #1-#30

Sometime several years ago while outside painting, I spent the time focusing on painting the sky instead of the landscape in front of me. This experience stuck with me.

20130901 clouds-scapes-bedroom-2

Last year, I took some of the cloud studies and grouped them and framed them as a mosaic, and I just loved the effect. In fact this framed grouping has been gracing our bedroom since then, as I find it to be so soothing.

So earlier this year, I began painting more of these cloudscapes on 6 x 6 inch masonite panels. The more I painted, the more I loved how they looked together…

20130722 cloud-scapes-with-feet

…and now I have 30 of these cloudscapes gracing our bedroom.

20130901 cloud-scapes-bedroom-1

Initially, I thought about offering these paintings for sale but as I worked on them I realized that each scene was meaningful in some way. Some of these skies were from various weekend getaways S. and I have taken over the years or from trips to Texas when visiting my grandmother.

It became clear that smitten as I am with the sky, that this series is also very personal and each painting is a love letter to myself and to my husband… something from me, of our time together and where we have been.

………………………………………………..

To see each painting individually, please visit my facebook page. Every day in the month of September, each painting from this series will be posted.

If you have a special memory you want captured forever, let me share this moment with you in a beautiful and expressive painting.

Leave a comment (8) Filed under Artwork, landscape

8 Comments

• Posted September 1, 2013 at 10:05 am | Permalink

What a great post Elizabeth! They are beautiful and I too love grouping my small paintings together!

• Elizabeth
      Posted September 1, 2013 at 5:54 pm | Permalink

Thanks Laura :)

• Debra Cooper
    Posted September 1, 2013 at 10:44 am | Permalink

Elizabeth, they are wonderful!..Especially grouped together…they are like snowflakes, no two could ever be the same.

• Elizabeth
      Posted September 1, 2013 at 5:56 pm | Permalink

Oh Debra, what a wonderful analogy! no two are alike… and I love how each one evokes a different emotion, each as fleeting as that moment in time.

• Posted September 2, 2013 at 9:18 am | Permalink

These small snippets of the sky make a beautiful statement. Seeing these make me want to give this a try.

• Posted September 2, 2013 at 10:55 am | Permalink

Elizabeth I love your cloud paintings, clouds make me feel warm and happy :)

• Posted September 5, 2013 at 4:21 am | Permalink

These are so stunning Elizabeth! I am in awe of the brush strokes you used in the latest challenge painting – Day 4. I had attempted a cloudscape too and it wasn’t at all easy, so I am particularly in awe of your beautiful paintings.

• Elizabeth
      Posted September 5, 2013 at 8:44 pm | Permalink

Wendy, Thanks so much! One of the reasons I love painting clouds is because of the variety of brushstrokes and edge quality they require.